What is Submerged Aerated fixed film technology?
Submerged Aerated fixed film (SAFF) technology is the most cost-effective and straightforward technique in the wastewater industry. It is mainly used in commercial complexes, residential complexes, and sewage sanitation industries. This technology is primarily used when the land is limited, and the whole time operational manning is uneconomical. The process helps reduce organic load, Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), and (Suspended Solids) SS of residential and commercial sewage wastewater. This technology is mainly preferred in small to medium-sized treatment plants.
It is the process that uses corrugated inert UV stabilized PVC media by aerobic biological process. The higher surface area of the Submerged Aerated fixed film technology helps in the rapid digestion of biomass by the biomass microbes. In this technology, the air is supplied through the mechanical aeration system comprising of blower and diffusers. The SAFF media is supported by bottom support in which the SAFF media is arranged in the fixed reactor.
Using a SAFF technology for commercial and residential purposes would provide the following benefits:
- 1. Predictable performance
- 2. Lower operation and maintenance
- 3. Better whole life costs
- 4. Easy and simple installation
- 5. No interruption in processing
Now, having understood the meaning of SAFF, it is essential to know its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of SAFF
- 1. The concentration of mixed liquor suspended solids (MLSS) is higher than the aeration system of the Activated sludge process (ASP).
- 2. The size of the aeration tank is reduced due to the higher (Biochemical oxygen demand) BOD on the media.
- 3. The oxygen transfer rates are increased because the bubble travel path gets increased. This is due to the cross-corrugation pattern of media that ensures that the air travels in zig-zag throughout the path.
- 4. Due to the larger quantity of MLSS inside the reactor takes higher shock loads without reducing the plant performance.
- 5. Sludge generation is lower than the conventional system.
- 6. SAFF system is 10-15 years long due to the PVC inert material usage.
- 7. It easily meets discharge norms. Also, the odor problems, maintenance problems are eliminated.
- 8. SAFF can achieve a 95-98% reduction in the Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD).
- 9. The more the MLSS is, the less space it will require for the treatment.
- 10. The quality of the wastewater treated is much better than the other conventional processes.
- 11. SAFF technology is nothing but modifying the activated sludge process (ASP) that has eliminated its limitations.
Disadvantages of SAFF
- 1. It requires a heavily skilled workforce
- 2. The reactor can be clogged due to the absence of primary sedimentation
- 3. The utmost reliance is kept on proprietary filter media
- 4. SAFF requires high dependence on external energy output
SAFF working principles
The Submerged Aerated Fixed films technology mainly uses three processes to deal with the residential and commercial sewage wastewater. These processes are described here as follows:
- 1. Primary settlement: The larger solids settle at the bottom, and the sludge is removed from time to time. The other buoyant materials are floated upwards and are removed by the screening and scraping method.
- 2. Secondary treatment: After the water comes from the primary treatment, it is again passed through, and the sludge so obtained is removed periodically. The biodegradable organic matter is degraded on the SAFF media by the biomass. After that, the water is processed and forwarded to final settlement or clarification.
- 3. Final settlement/Clarification: In this process, the degraded solids get settled out of biologically treated effluent automatically.
Netsol Water incorporates the latest technology that conforms to the predefined industrial standards and quality. Therefore you don't have to worry about the quality and services. We are one of the most cost-effective companies committed to preserving water.
Netsol Water pioneer as a Sewage Treatment Plants manufacturer, Effluent Treatment Plants Manufacturer, Commercial RO Plant, and Industrial RO Plant Manufacturer in Noida-Delhi, India.
Contact us to discuss your requirements. We can be reached at 9650608473, or feel free to leave your query at firstname.lastname@example.org.