Freshwater scarcity, one of the most pressing global issues of our time, threatens economic growth, water security, and ecological health. Water makes up two-thirds of the earth's crust, yet it cannot be used for drinking or other activities since, it is either frozen into ice or exists in enormous saline oceans and seas.
According to studies, 97% of the world's water is salty and unfit for human or animal consumption (except for marine life), while the remaining 3% is available as freshwater. Less than 0.01% of this 3% is available as fresh water, with the majority trapped in glaciers.As a result, there are less water resources available to meet the rising demand.
Therefore, it becomes important to treat wastewater for re-use, and disinfect it with technologies such as UV.
What is a UV disinfection system?
Ultraviolet light with a wavelength of 253.7 nanometres is used in UV water disinfection technology, to kill bacteria, viruses, moulds, algae, and other microorganisms that replicate and develop.
UV disinfection method breaks microbes’ DNA, rendering them dead and unable to grow further. It can be used to disinfect drinking water, process water, wastewater, and surfaces, among other things. Aside from disinfection, this method can also be utilized for TOC removal and ozone annihilation.
How does UV technology work in wastewater treatment?
The UV Disinfection System is a highly effective method of combating microbiological contamination in water. However, bacteria must be exposed to UV-C radiation in sufficient quantities, to properly disinfect the water.
UV light disinfects by entering germs and destroying their DNA in UV water disinfection technology. Because, DNA is essential for organisms' functioning and reproduction, deleting it hinders the organism from being active and proliferating. UV energy (wavelength 240-280 nm) is naturally present in very modest amounts in sunlight. The same energy is produced at higher intensities by high mercury discharge lamps, sometimes known as UV lamps.
When exposed to the appropriate dosage of UV radiation, no bacteria, viruses, moulds, or their spores can survive. As a result, UV is regarded as the best method for water sterilization.
Applications of UV technology
UV disinfection systems are utilized in a variety of applications ranging from, the purification of drinking water in individual houses, to the disinfection of entire township water supplies,to industrial wastewater treatment. UV water treatment is widely acknowledged as a safer and more cost-effective method of disinfecting water, for industrial uses.
UV sanitization is effective in practically every application that requires microbial-free, safe, and clean water, and where there is a risk of contamination before the water reaches the final point of use.
Industrial Applications of UV disinfection systems
An ultraviolet disinfection system is more than just a bulb in a pipe. The UV Reactor must be built to guarantee that all bacteria receive adequate UV light exposure (dose). The reactor must be tuned based on the hydraulic properties of water, to control the flow in a way that maximizes residence duration and increases turbulence.
In industrial applications, well-designed Industrial UV water disinfection systems, routinely produce remarkable results.
Netsol Water - A market leader in water treatment solutions
Netsol is India's leading water and wastewater treatment company, contributing to projects and services related to water and wastewater treatment. Adopting our UV water disinfection technology will assist you in becoming a "Green Citizen."
Our UV water disinfection method is safe for the environment. UV does not require chemicals and generates no waste.In comparison, chlorine emits hazardous carcinogens, such as trihalomethanes, which contaminate our environment and endanger our health.
We offer UV treatments and UV membrane technology, to successfully demolish high ozone concentration in wastewater.