Do Sewage Treatment Plants recycle human waste?
When it comes to human waste, the majority of us take the "flush and forget" mentality, treating human waste as a waste product. However, in the face of global warming, this overlooks the fact that organic waste can and must be recycled back into ecosystems.
Only around 30% of people in India are able to flush it down their sewage systems, which carry the trash to a treatment plant if one is available. Obstacles such as incomplete sewerage networks or leaks may obstruct this journey from the sewer line to a Sewage Treatment Plant (STP). However, this is a problem that only a few people face. In our country, there are over 900 STPs, but only around half of them meet discharge criteria, and 70% of people don't even have that option.
Recycling of human waste in STPs
Untreated faecal sludge is dangerous to people's health and the environment; hence it must be addressed right away. Solid-liquid separation, stabilization, dewatering/drying, and pathogen eradication are all common steps in the treatment process. Sewage Treatment Plant is where the treatment takes place. After initial processing, faecal sludge and septage are co-treated with sewage at a sewage treatment plant (STP). Treated faecal sludge, also known as faecal sludge by-products, can be (re)used in a variety of ways, depending on the needs of the local community and other circumstances. The byproducts could be utilized as a soil conditioner or even as a source of electricity. Wastewater that has been treated can also be utilized, such as in gardens.
Methods for recycling human waste in an environmentally friendly manner
1. Production of biogas:Human waste produces methane gas, which can be captured and used to make biogas. For residential or industrial application, biogas could be utilized to generate power, cook food, and heat water.
2. Fertilizer:To boost food production, human waste can be used as a fertilizer. However, it is advised that the waste be treated at least once before being used on the farm.
3. Hydrogen Fuel :Hydrogen fuel may be extracted from human waste using the same method used to get electricity from water. It turns out to be more efficient, requiring less energy in the process.
4. Brick-making: The ash from incinerated sewage sludge is mixed with vegetable oil to make bricks. The oil used in these bricks is generated from plants that have absorbed carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, making them carbon-negative.
5. Source of water:Because human waste has the potential to produce non-potable water, electrolysis of this water can be utilized to make oxygen and hydrogen.The use of human waste in sustainable energy production is a game changer. It also makes a significant contribution to the environment.
Benefits like as biogas, fertilizer, faecal transplant, hydrogen fuel, construction bricks, metals, and drinking water can be obtained by recycling human waste that would otherwise wind up in a landfill and contaminate the environment.
What can we offer?
Netsol Water is one of the leading water and wastewater treatment company in India with services in the field of WTP manufacturing, WWTP manufacturing, RO Plant manufacturing, STP manufacturing, ETP manufacturing, Water Softeners, and much more. The company designs and manufactures all in one system that are ideal for treating wastewater and the sludge generated.
For any further assistance or product-purchase related query,