This article discusses the ways to save the rejected water of the RO plant. It further elucidates the purposes for which the rejected RO water can be used.
Reverse Osmosis (RO) water purification unit is considered one of the most reliable and best technologies for removing contaminants and impurities. But do you know it can become a significant source of wastage of water if appropriate steps aren't taken?
75% of the water is rejected, and 25% is purified using this RO technology. This means that RO wastes at least 3 liters of water for every 1 liter of filtered water. The rejected water cannot be used for human consumption because of high TDS, pH, and high levels of impurities.
But the rejected water can be stored and re-used for various other purposes such as irrigation, washing cars, gardening, etc. However, before re-using this water, one needs to check its TDS, pH, etc. Every purpose has its requirement of level of TDS and pH. For instance, if you want to wash the car, the TDS of the water should be 1200 – 1500 (PPM). Like this, every time we use rejected water for any purpose, we should check the suitability of the water accordingly.
Through this article, we shall ascertain how the rejected water can be stored and for what different purposes it can be re-used.
How to store the rejected water?
If you have a water purifier at your home, you must have seen a reject pipe in the RO plant. This reject pipe is the main component as we obtain rejected wastewater from this pipe only. So, for storage, you can take the pipe and put it into the bucket. This is the easiest way to store the water.
However, if your household's daily water requirement is more than that would mean a lot of water getting wasted. In such a scenario, to store water, you would have to empty the bucket many times. You would have to worry all the time about the overflow of the water. This might not seem to be a feasible solution.
So, therefore, what you can do in such a scenario is extend your reject water pipe. It can be done using a submersible pump. Put this extended pipe into the tank, and you can make it through a simple water pipe. In this way, you don't have to worry about water overflow as you have to do while using a bucket for storage.
Either use bucket or a tank under your requirements. These are the two methods through which you can store the water quickly without having taken much pain.
For what purposes the rejected water can be used?
Before you use the rejected water, let us tell you that you need to check the pH and TDS of the water as it plays a vital role in deciding whether to use the water or not. However, you do not have to worry much about the pH since it would be the same as purified water. But the level of dissolved solids is an essential factor that needs to be taken into consideration. So, let us see where and for what purposes the rejected water can be used.
- 1. Washing Car and air coolers: At least 70-75 liters using a hosepipe get wasted every time you wash your car or air coolers. Looking at the scarcity of water these days, using so much water for washing cars and air coolers may seem to be daunting. And this is where the role of rejected water comes in. You can use this water for washing cars and coolers. You need to check that the TDS level of water is between 1200-1500 PPM. If it is high, then you can dilute tap water to bring it to the normal position.
- 2. Gardening: Having plants at your home? To nourish them, you must be using good water. But now you don't have to use that water. Use rejected RO water with a TDS level up to 2100 PPM. Apart from the TDS, one should also check for sodium, and it must be less than 60%.
- 3. Washing Utensils: Another use of rejected water is to wash the utensils. You have to put the bucket where you wash the utensils, and then you are ready to go. It shouldn't be hard water; otherwise, the scum formation would be there. But if it is well in overall quality, this is the best use of water.
- 4. Floor Mopping: Cleaning the floor may take several buckets of water, especially if you have a big house. But this is easy if rejected water is used for the floor mopping. But remember, the TDS level of the water should be less than 2000 PPM. Also, if the water is above 2000 PPM, you can dilute tap water to lower its TDS. However, you can also use rejected water on alternate days to reduce the chances of stains.
- 5. Laundry: The rejected water can be used for laundry purposes as well, but you have to keep in mind the TDS of the water as some fabrics may be opposed to high TDS. Primarily, the washing machines are used for washing clothes. The washing machines are a great source of the wastage of water. So, to avoid this, you can take the water from the bucket filled with rejected water; in this way, your clothes will also get washed, and the water will also not get wasted.
- 6. Cleaning and flushing toilets: Around 5-7 liters of water get wasted in cleaning and flushing the toilets. To avoid this, you should consider using rejected water for the same purpose. In this way, you can effectively reduce the wastage of clean water and, at the same time, use rejected water for fulfilling your goal of cleaning and flushing toilets.
Save the water! Save the planet! Save your life!
Netsol incorporates the latest technology that conforms to the predefined industrial standards and quality. Therefore you don't have to worry about the quality and services. We are one of the most cost-effective companies committed to preserving water. We deal in the best RO plants but are not limited to them only.
Contact us to discuss your requirements. We can be reached at 9650608473, or feel free to leave your query at firstname.lastname@example.org.