Sanitary sewer overflow (SSO) occurs when untreated sewage from a sanitary sewer is spilled into the environment before reaching sewage treatment facilities.
Wet weather overflow is what it's called when it's caused by rain. Blockages in sewer lines, infiltration/inflow of insufficient stormwater into sewer lines during heavy rainfall, malfunction of pumping station lifts or electrical power breakdown, and broken sewer lines are all causes of sanitary sewer overflows. Regular maintenance and infrastructure upgrades are required to prevent such overflow incidents.
What causes overflow in the Sanitary System?
Sewer line breaks or blockages are common causes of SSOs.
Operators often discover massive obstacles made up of hardened fat, oil, and grease, (FOG) wet wipes, and other waste products in the sewer. This type of scenario is quite likely to result in an SSO.
SSO is caused by the infiltration or inflow of excessive stormwater into sewer systems during heavy rains, as well as malfunctioning pumping station lifts or electrical power failure. They can also happen if your wastewater collection system isn't properly operated and maintained, or if you don't have enough capacity to collect or hold flows for treatment.
SSOs cause human sickness, particularly gastrointestinal ailments, necessitating dietary restrictions and beach closures. They also have an impact on aquatic life, killing fish and harming plankton, micro-flora, and micro-fauna. In receiving waters, turbidity rises while dissolved oxygen falls, resulting in amplified effects. Marine species, such as seals and sea lions, are harmed by these consequences.
SSO: Consequences on human health and the Environment
Millions of people suffer from gastrointestinal diseases each year, yet death from a single overflow event is uncommon. Additional human implications include beach closures, swimming restrictions, and the prohibition of ingesting certain aquatic species during overflow events. Aside from the obvious pathogen-induced damage to aquatic ecosystems, a rise in turbidity and a decrease in dissolved oxygen in receiving waters might have exacerbated consequences. Higher life forms, such as marine mammals, may be damaged since certain seals and sea lions have been observed to have surged in pathogenic damage.
Even while eliminating SSOs is challenging, if not impossible, taking proactive actions can help prevent them.
The following are some suggestions for dealing with SSOs in dry weather:
• Internal examinations for wax or grease build-up, allowing for FOG execution or a cleaning schedule that is more frequent.
• Pipeline inspections that detect the contributory impacts of roots, oil, and grease, as well as a mixture of various effects, allowing for FOG programs, pipeline repair, and root removal programs.
• Financial incentives for prevention, as well as punishments if no action is taken.
• Frequent cleanings in problem areas prone to SSOs in dry weather, such as flat pipelines, tree root penetration, and multi-family high-density housing.
• Flow levels inside manholes can be monitored remotely.
• Public awareness of what should not be poured down sinks or flushed down toilets.
Ways to aid with wet weather overflow prevention or mitigation include:
• Climate changes such as El Nino and other expected weather shifts are being monitored.
• Build a new pipeline or burst an old pipeline to increase capacity.
• To avoid capacity losses, clean sand/silt build-up and remove blockages on a regular basis.
• Increase system reliability by doing a scheduled system evaluation and cleaning.
• Quarterly preventative maintenance.
• Hire more maintenance personnel to clean lines throughout the basins before any problems arise.
How can Netsol Water help?
Netsol Water is a significant water and wastewater treatment firm in India, offering WTP, WWTP, STP, and ETP, Industrial RO, Commercial RO, Water Softeners manufacture, among other services. The company creates equipment and is committed to providing practical solutions that help businesses flourish. We are committed to providing our valued customers with hands-on service, expert counselling, and training.